The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and local leaders broke ground for Buford Dam in 1949, and it would be another seven years before the first trickle of water from the Chattahoochee River would begin to form Lake Lanier.
A mother and her two daughters were among those killed in the Cooper Pants Factory fire that started during the 1936 Gainesville tornado.
Jackson Countians know why the Jefferson bypass on U.S. 129 south of Gainesville is named for Major Damon J. Gause. Many others, even in neighboring counties, might not know that he was a World War II hero, whose remarkable story about multiple escapes from the Japanese will be told in a Public Broadcasting documentary next year.
Frances Miller Haynes will turn 100 years old Oct. 1. Appropriately, she will celebrate in advance Saturday in the building with which she is most identified – Candler Street School just off North Green Street in Gainesville.
Even longtime North Georgia residents are struck at how Gainesville's Atlanta Highway transformed so quickly.
Many remember the movie "The Last Picture Show," which came out in 1971 and starred Jeff Bridges and Cybill Shepherd. It was about a dying Texas town whose businesses, including the movie show, were failing.
Connie Propes and other neighbors where Wal-Mart is building a grocery and installing gas pumps on Thompson Bridge Road in Gainesville are researching the history of the area, in particular Slaughterhouse Creek, which might be affected by rainfall runoff from the development. The creek eventually feeds into Lake Lanier.
During the recent razing of several sorority houses at Brenau University in Gainesville, students and alumni gathered in groups at times to snap photos and hopefully get a brick or other piece of memorabilia from the rubble.
The east side of Gainesville's downtown square in the 1950s was dominated by clothing stores, most of them what you would consider discount shops today.
At the height of the Lumpkin County gold rush, people from all over the country were coming to North Georgia to pursue their personal fortune. Locals sometimes were prone to take advantage of gullible outside prospectors.
Editor's note: For many years, Johnny Vardeman, retired editor of The Times, would write his annual "'mater sammich" column as homegrown tomatoes started coming in during the summer. "'Maters and Music" will be the theme for a tomato sandwich event from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 23 at the Byron Herbert Reece Farm and Heritage Center one mile north of Vogel State Park, 9 miles south of Blairsville on U.S. 129.
A century will have passed Monday since the beginning of World War I, which started July 28, 1914, when Austria declared war on Serbia. The United States didn't enter until three years later, declaring war on Germany.
One of the oldest camp meetings in North Georgia begins Monday at the historic Antioch Campground on Antioch Campground Road in west Hall County.
"County agents," as we call them, date back in Georgia 100 years. They are part of the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service, celebrating its centennial this year helping residents with home, garden and farm advice.
On this Independence Day Weekend, take a brief look at Lyman Hall, for whom Hall County is named.
Fifty-one years ago next month marks one of the most sensational crimes in Georgia's history: the execution murders of three Gwinnett County policemen.
Mossy Creek Campground lies between Ga. 254 and Skitts Mountain Road in White County.
One of the oldest golf courses in North Georgia is Mossy Creek, just over the Hall County line into White County on Ga. 254 next to Mossy Creek Campground and at the base of Skitts Mountain.
There have been so many changes among Gainesville's business districts over the years, you can't keep track of them.
Bob Hope once lived in Gainesville.
When local radio was in its pioneer stages, live acts, mostly country and gospel music, were a significant part of the programming.
Page 1 of 1